On March 20, 2015, US Forest Service (USFS) ruled favorably on Uranium Watch et al.'s Objection to the La Sal Mines Complex Plan of Operations Amendment, the project EA, and the USFS draft Decision Notice and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI). In the 38-page decision, the Objection Reviewing Officer found that the FONSI was not supported by the EA and the project record. He instructed the Forest Supervisor to hold the issuance of the Decision Notice until all concerns and instructions in the decision have been addressed. At the end of this process, the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) will issue its final decision.
• USFS Decision Cover Letter
• USFS Decision
• Uranium Watch et. al Objection
• USFS La Sal Mines Decision
The La Sal Mines Complex is made up of the Pandora Mine and 3 mines known as the La Sal Complex (La Sal, Snowball, and the Beaver Shaft). The La Sal Complex (Deer Creek Group) and Pandora originally had separate owners. The Mines' previous owner, Denision Mines (USA) Corporation, requested that the Utah Division of Oil, Gas and Mining combine the mines under the name La Sal Mines Complex. The Mine Complex is now owned by Energy Fuels Resources (USA) Inc.
Energy Fuels Resources (USA) Inc.
225 Union Blvd., Suite 600
Lakewood, Colorado 80228
• Pandora Mine Information
• La Sal Mines (Deer Creek Group) Information
Uranium Watch Comments on Scope of EA for Expansion of the
La Sal Mines Complex
On January 31, 2011, Uranium Watch and Living Rivers, Canyonlands Watershed Council, Grand Canyon Trust, Center for Biological Diversity, and the Glen Canyon Group of the Sierra Club submtted extensive comments to the Bureau of Land Management on the scope of the Environmental Assessment for the expansion of the La Sal Mines Complex. Among other things Uranium Watch et al. asked that the BLM develop a full Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the expansion of the mining operations.
• Scoping Comments - January 31, 2011
• Supplemental Comments - July 5, 2011
On March 24, 2011, Uranium Watch and Living Rivers, Canyonlands Watershed Council, Grand Canyon Trust, Center for Biological Diversity, Glen Canyon Group of the Sierra Club, and Utah Environmental Congress submitted scoping comments to the U.S. Forest Service, Manti-La Sal National Forest. Denison MInes proposed additional exploration drilling and radon vent installations on USFS land, but has not identified the exact locations.
• Scoping Comments - March 24, 2011
Environmental Assessment of Expansion of the
Pandora, Beaver Shaft, La Sal, and Snowball Mines
In November 2010 Denison submitted a the final version of the Plan of Operations Amendment (POA) for the La Sal Mines Complex to the Utah Division of Oil, Gas and Mining, Bureau of Land Management (BLM), and US National Forest Service-Manti-La Sal National Forest. The BLM and Forest Service are in the process of developing an Environmental Assessment (EA). The draft EA, not expected until early 2012, will be available for public comment.
The Agencies held two EA scoping meetings and provided an opportunity for submittal of written comments, which were due on January 31, 2011. The EA will primarily address the portions of the La Sal MInes Complex that are on BLM or Forest Service Land: La Sal, Pandora, and Snowball Mines and the Beaver Shaft waste rock pile and radon vents on BLM land.
Denison has hired and will pay a consultant — CDM Inc. — to prepare the EA, under the direction of the BLM and Forest Service. CDM Inc. is the same consultant that Denison hired to develop their amendment to the Plan of Operations for the La Sal Mines Complex.
• BLM Response to EA Scoping Comments: Working Draft (25.5 MB)
• Plan of Operations Amendment - November 2010 (1.9 MB)
Earlier POA Versions
• Plan of Operations Amendment - December 14, 2009 (165.6 MB)
• DOGM: Request for Additional Information - May 5, 2010 (36.4 MB)
• Supplement to Plan of Operations - January 26, 2010 (160.6 MB)
Earlier Plans of Operations and Environmental Assessments
• Pandora Mine Plan of Operations - April 27, 1981
• Pandora Mine Environmental Assessment - June 8, 1981
• Deer Creek Group (La Sal Mines) Plan of Operations - May 8, 1981
• Deer Creek Group (La Sal Mines) Environmental Assessment - June 12, 1981
EPA Conducts Inspection of La Sal Mines – April 2010
• EPA Inspection Report
DIVISION OF AIR QUALITY
On May 22, 2008, Denison Mines submitted a Notice of Intent of Construct the Proposed La Sal Mines Project to the Division of Air Quality (DAW). The project includes the Pandora Mine and the La Sal, Snow Ball, and Beaver Shaft. Denison only plans to use the Beaver Shaft and Pandora access shafts.
The Utah Division of Air Quality (DAQ) accepted comments on their Intent to Approve Denison Mines Corporation's request for an Approval Order for their uranium mines in La Sal, San Juan County, Utah. The DAQ action is in response to the May 2008 Notice of Intent to Construct the Proposed La Sal Mines Project (as supplemented).
• Notice of Intent to Construct the Proposed La Sal Mines Project - May 2008
• DAQ Notice of Intent to Approve
• Intent to Approve - May 28, 2009
• Approval Order (DAQE-AN0141510002-09) - October 26, 2009
NOTICE OF INTENT TO MODIFY THE LA SAL MINES PROJECT APPROVAL ORDER
In October 2010, Denison submitted a Notice of Intent to Modify the La Sal Mines Project Approval Order to the Utah Division of Air Quality (DAQ). The request incorporates the La Sal Mine (one of the four mines that are part of the La Sal Mines Complex) into the La Sal Mines Complex mining operation. However, Denison has already commenced operation of the La Sal Mine. Denison is removing ore from the mine and disposing of waste rock on one or more of the La Sal Mine waste rock piles.
The DAQ is in the process of reviewing the NOI to Modify.
• Notice of Intent to Modify the La Sal Mines Project Approval Order - October 2010
COMPLIANCE WITH RADON EMISSION STANDARDS IN
40 C.F.R. PART 61, SUBPART B
• 2008 Annual Compliance Report - La Sal Mines - March 2009
• 2009 Annual Compliance Report - La Sal Mines - March 2010
• September 2010 Monthly Compliance Report (Cover Letter) - La Sal Mines
• September 2010 Monthly Compliance Report - La Sal Mines - October 2010
• September 2010 Monthly Compliance Report - Modeling Results - SENES Report
• October 2010 Monthly Compliance Report - November 2010
• November 2010 Monthly Compliance Report - December 2010
• December 2010 Monthly Compliance Report - January 2011
• January 2011 Monthly Compliance Report - March 2, 2011
• February 2011 Monthly Compliance Report - March 30, 2011
• March 2011 Monthly Compliance Report - April 30, 2011
• 2011 Annual Compliance Report - La Sal Mines - March 30, 2012
RADON EMISSION APPLICATIONS AND APPROVALS
• Denison - Compliance with 40 C.F.R. Part 61, Subparts A and B, La Sal Mine Complex Radon
Emissions Information - La Sal Mines - December 16, 2009
• Application and DAQ Approval for 7 New Radon Vents - 2010
Environmental Protection Agency - Notice of Violation
• Notice of Violation - August 16, 2010
Last Updated March 26, 2015